Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

Week 1 - Reflecting on creating a blog


For our first e-learning task in our week 1 tutorial we were required to create our own blog to communicate our own reflections on weekly activities to both our peers and our educators. Being a ‘digital immigrant’ this was a daunting prospect for me, however understanding that the purpose of  the blog was to engage with weekly material, reflect on its benefits to my pedagogical practice and to collaborate with my peers, I pressed on even though I was feeling a little like this…

 
Luckily the technical manuals on the moodle site guided me through the process relatively unscathed and my blog was created! Actually the experience left me feeling pretty elated and not just for the fact that I accomplished the task but I had created an avenue to reflect on and express my thoughts as well as justify my opinions. The additional bonus is I can have a look at how my peers are processing the weekly material to inspire further learning and hopefully I can reciprocate the favour.
After completing this task I can see the many possible uses of blogs in the classroom. My secondary disciplines are English and Geography. With the content heavy Geography, I envisage blogs being used in class to keep the learners engaged and on track with the course by individually formatting the information to suit their learning styles. For example visual learners may choose to embed pictures that assist them in processing the information just as audio learners may choose to embed a you tube clip. Possible homework may consist of referring to three other classmates’ blogs to compare their understanding of the topic and then blog about the findings.
In regards to English, I envisage blogs to enhance the creative aspect of the subject. This clip shows a class using blogs to engage and inspire learning in English class…
 



Engaging ‘digital natives’ in subjects by using ICTs such as blogs, breathes new life into the course content as we deliver the information in a way they understand.
 
 
Finally, and possible the best part of blogging, is how it combines elements from all four learning theories presented in this week’s course material because it justifies the use of blogs in classrooms.
1. Behaviourism; as the student processes the information, the blog can be observed for changes in responses and behaviour.

2. Congnitivism; blogs offer many different ways for the student to process the information. They can create a mind map and embed on the blog for example.

3. Constructivism; the collaborative nature of blogs enable the social learning promoted by constructivism. As the students refer and comment on classmates’ blogs they are participating in a learning community.
4. Connectivism; obviously by using a digital tool of blogs, it connects the student to the information when they need it in a way they understand it.

Hope you enjoyed reading and I would love any comments or constructive criticism and I look forward to having a read of everyone else’s take on blogging.

Thanks for reading,
Nicole.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Image and Video Acknowledgements:
Computer mouse: virgin blogger - blog archive - digital http://www.laurahardie.edublogs.org
YouTube clip: elementary student blogs: innovative classroom technology by Jon Shwartz http://youtu.be/OTToERnTKB4
WiFi at Kindy: first-day-at-kindergarten-cartoon-wifi http://www.crazyhyena.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment